August 14, 2011

Vienna without the waltz


We are back on the train again, which is good since it seems that it is the only time that I sit down to write this blog.  We are having a wonderful vacation and though it seems that we have a long time ahead of us, I am surprised how each day seems to go by quickly.   We have decided to revise our plans a bit.  We have decided that two nights is just too short a time to even get acquainted with a town so we have modified our itinerary to try to make each stop at least three nights.  With travel time, it actually means we really only have a little over 2 days to play in a town. 

Despite the advice we received in Cesky Krumlov to take a shuttle to Vienna, we decided to take the train.  We had two transfers and also an unexpected bus detour due to rail construction.  Although our choice took us a little more time, it was seamless and far less expensive. 

For some reason, I found myself quite disoriented in Vienna.  We walked and walked, often overshooting our destination or just plain making an error.  I also decided to slip on a curb by the side of tram tracks as we were exiting the subway on the way to the train to Salzburg.  The weight of my backpack pushed my head to the pavement as I fell ever so slowly.   My knee was bloody but the speed of the descent kept my head from getting badly banged up.  Another lesson learned:  don’t rush to the train, watch out for sloping pavement and by all means, don’t fall when you are carrying a 25+ pound backpack. 
So you can now see why we didn’t waltz in Vienna. 

Beautiful Schonbrunn palace

Not sure what she was advertising but I couldn't resist!



Despite our disorientation and my clumsiness, we enjoyed our visit to the gardens of Schonbrunn and Belvedere palace, our rather circuitous walks around the central district, the fine museum on the Romans ruins in Vienna, the delicious meals we enjoyed each evening, and the amazing breakfasts at the Hotel Prince Eugen.  

1 comment:

  1. Carol, I am glad, that everything worked out well in the end, since I think that Vienna and Salzburg are two incredibly romantic and beautiful places. I love Mozarr's birth town as much as the castle Schoenbrunn and it is lovely that you see the glass always half full, although you fell. Sunny hugs from sunny Mercer Island: I will play Bunco for you soon. Love, also to Mark from Siegi :)

    ReplyDelete